SF Bay Area Koi Club

Organization of Pond and Koi Keepers




Pond Rebuild -- The Plumbing -- Part 4

02/21/2016 5:11 PM | Anonymous member (Administrator)

Greetings from February, as it rained here in the SF Bay Area pretty much Dec. and Jan.  I did not make my former completion which was end of December, Mother Nature had other ideas.  I am back and this project is in full swing again.  Enjoy!



This is the 2" bottom drain we are using.  It has an alternative exit for plumbing.  I have capped this end.  This bottom drain is not the KoiToilet variety as that one come with a dome top.  Aurora has fancy goldfish and we needed a bottom drain that was a complete plate with holes.  Will show this off when we get to actually put this project together.



I was not satisfied with the original thicker border plastic I was using, trying to create an inner circle for the bog shelf.   I found this much thinner and pliable border material.



Here I was able to measure, carve, level and fit my shelf wall.



Finally the curve for a shelf is about 18".  I used that little section of ABS to keep me within a birds eye of the outer wall.



You may have seen in former blog pics that I had the shut off valves from the bottom drain and the skimmer right at the end of those pipes.  This was an incorrect position as it needed to be much further to the right.  I extended these.



This is another perspective from the bog and the placement of the bottom drain.  I am always nervous about committing to having a sealed bottom.  My best advice is to go slow.  Practice on misc. ABS/PVC pipes and fittings to understand the amount of glue and giving each piece of the plumbing a good have turn.  Which brings up, thinking ahead of your plumbing and how you can always add on.  Fitting pieces in the middle of plumbing could lead to having to cut out large sections and redoing it.



Once I committed to my plumbing, I placed rock around the base and back filled to secure.  I also sprinkled small rock around the bottom drain ABS ans back filled it also.   I have one word for you through out this procces.  It is to "LEVEL, level, LEVEL."  Use of a line level is my personal favorite.  Here is my, one per pond job, table level that is injured, but still holding true.



Returning to the bog we excavate another 6 inches or so, bringing the center depth to 2 ft. for the waterlilies.



Here I am with my extended plumbing to the filter area.



NOTE TO SELF:  Becoming over zealous in success of plumbing will keep you awake at night.  Ideally it would be great to have the entire eco-system up and running to test your plumbing, but you have to have faith and trust that in each connection is sound before moving on to the next.  Here I did cover too soon and had not done a proper water test.  The area behind the plumbing is the future home of the filter and pump pad, which needs to be dug out.



I did come back and do a water test.  I extended the bottom drain and did a pressure test of the skimmer line, by plugging the skimmer hole and filling that line with water.  I like to cover my plumbing with small gravel and loose soil. I then will cover plumbing with large flat pieces of stone or lava to protect any downward pressure on plumbing from people walking on the surface plus the dirt used to cover them up. 
Also here, you can see that I have measured where the base needed to go and have dug out accordingly.  There were many chunky roots from the creeping fig that covers the back fence.  One gnarly extension of this root was sacrificed and the other allowed to grow downward.



The platform used a large bag and a half of concrete.  We are ready for the filter!



So here is our 2000 gallon filter sitting atop its new platform and the plumbing for the pump has been measured, trimmed and placed.  I am very pleased with how compact I have been able to make this setup.



Here is where I used an irrigation trap to cover our cut offs for the bottom drain and the skimmer line..



The greatest invention to any pond owner, is the use of these rubber connectors that clamp onto existing plumbing. They allow some give and take.  We live in earthquake country and having an exactly rigidly glued together setup can be a problem. You have to think about your pond as giant bathtub. The equipment you use on your pond is external and man-made contraptions that process the environment for your eco-system and any and of all of these external pieces can and will FAIL at some point in the life span of your pond. Allowing each piece of your filter and pumps and UV's to be put together with these rubber fittings, will each pay for their use ten fold.



Oh, by the way, when you let it rain and the grass grows, give it a mowing!
We move onto the waterfall now. I have already started to edit the site line, by removing rock from the waterfall.  Moving closer to liner day.

©2014-2019  SFBayAreaKoiClub.org  All Rights Reserved.
Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software